Frequently Asked Questions

Expand all

What is the BCT?

The goal of the University of Minnesota Twin Cities Behavioral Consultation Team (BCT) is to provide a coordinated response to situations arising from students who may represent a threat of harm to themselves or others. Membership includes staff from several departments across the University with administrative, psychological, academic and legal expertise. The team operates within FERPA/HIPAA requirements.

Is the BCT a crisis line?

No. The focus of the team is on consultation and coordination. If a student needs crisis intervention, they can contact Boynton Mental Health Clinic or Student Counseling Services during business hours or call the 24/7 crisis line at 612-301-4673 or texting ‘UMN’ to 61222.

I know a student who should be referred to the BCT. What are my options for reporting?

  • If you feel there is an immediate threat, call 911 or 612-624-COPS (2677).
  • To make a referral, call 612-626-3030, send an e-mail to [email protected] or complete the Online Referral Form. Please provide basic information about the student, a description of the incident or behaviors that prompted the referral and your contact information.
  • Each referral is reviewed by staff in the OSA Care Program.

Often times you are the best resource for the student and the BCT because you are familiar with the student. If you are comfortable doing so, tell the student that you are concerned and ask if they are okay. In many cases, students will indicate that they could use some help and you can refer them to the Campus Mental Health Resources.

If I am concerned about my safety or the safety of others, should I call the BCT?

Your first call should be to 911. The BCT may be alerted as a follow up but the team does not provide emergency response services and should not be viewed as such.

What types of concerning student behavior should I report?

Any indication of thoughts of harm to self or others, as well as behavior that is making you or others uncomfortable.

Some examples of behaviors that require immediate attention include:

  • Threats to harm self
  • Possession of weapons
  • Acts or threats of physical and/or sexual violence
  • Apparent disconnect from reality (e.g. hearing voices, disorganized speech
  • Missing student

In case where immediate threat or concern is observed, please call UMPD at 624-COPS. If the situation appears life-threatening to anyone involved, please call 911.

The University Police Department has representation on the BCT.

How quickly will I hear back from the BCT?

The goal is to get back to you within 24 hours. You will likely hear back sooner. It is helpful for us to know how soon you need to be contacted.

Who can make a BCT referral?

Any person who feels a University of Minnesota Twin Cities student is a threat to themselves and/or the community can make a BCT referral. Reporting parties may include students, parents, faculty and staff, and other community members.

Should I talk to the student first?

Whenever possible, you should share your concern(s) directly with the student. However, should you have any concern about your safety or the safety of others, your best course of action is to contact the BCT or in an emergency, UMPD via 911.

What happens after I make the referral/call?

Upon receipt of the referral, the BCT will determine whether intervention by the team is appropriate. If deemed appropriate, the team will meet to create a plan to engage the student and assess the behavior in question. Sometimes you may be asked to directly intervene with the student.

What happens to the student in the BCT process?

If the team determines the student is appropriate for the BCT process and is a threat to themselves or others, the student will be contacted and directed to meet with a member of the Care Program. The program operates in a non-clinical capacity and does not provide formal counseling but will connect the student to appropriate resources as needed and make recommendations.

How do I know if it is a BCT issue or if it is more appropriately handled by other campus resources?

You do not have to make this determination; the BCT will consult with you to determine the next best steps. The most critical step is that you report your concern. If another campus resource is more appropriate, the BCT will make that recommendation.

Is the BCT process confidential?

Every effort is made to keep the BCT process private. That being said, there may be times when it is not possible. Please refrain from promising confidentiality to a student referred to the BCT.

Can I know the outcome of a student that I referred?

The BCT and its processes are bound by FERPA and handled similar to other student educational records. If it is determined that you have a legitimate educational need to know about the matter, someone will follow up with you.

What if I'm not ready to make a report, but I just need some advice about handling a student issue?

The OSA Care Program is the best place to start for consultation on a concern. Care Program Staff can provide tips, ideas and resources on how to best approach a situation. Call 612-625-2517 or email [email protected].

Can I submit information anonymously?

Yes. However, you are encouraged to identify yourself because this may assist the BCT if clarification or additional information is needed.

I have a disruptive student in my class. What can I do?

If you are witnessing or experiencing behaviors that do not align with the Student Code of Conduct, please reach out to the Office for Community Standards (OCS). Classroom conduct violations are addressed through the OCS. They are available for consultation and assistance through the process.

Contact Us

We are currently offering online and in person meetings. 

Staff will be monitoring email and checking phone messages. We will be in touch as soon as we are able to follow up and consult.

Behavioral Consultation Team

[email protected]

Online Referral Form

Please note: The BCT is NOT a crisis line. We will respond to calls/referrals as quickly as possible but if the situation is an emergency, please call 911.